11.02.2014

Stomach Flu (That Isn't Ebola) - And Being Positive


So I came down with some sort of stomach flu today. I just needed to share that. In addition to being generally unpleasant, it has also stressed me out because I wasn't able to do any of the things I needed to do this weekend, which means that this coming week is probably going to be a mess and even more stressful than usual as I try to catch up. But it's not ebola, I'm pretty sure, so that's a plus.

Anyway, the nausea and headache have abated a bit for the moment, so I just want to chat about the shirt in the picture above.

Look, I think it's hilarious. I love that it's a little tongue-in-cheek play on the line from The Fault In Our Stars and that it has to do with running. I'll also admit that when I first saw this shirt I thought to myself, "Damn, if that isn't my love life right there." And that's my problem with it - which isn't actually so much a problem with the shirt as it is with my perspective on life and relationships.

One of my favorite movies is Little Miss Sunshine, and one of my favorite lines in that movie is when Steve Carrell's character tells the moody teenage son, "Hey man, it may seem cool to be all cynical and negative and hate things, but it's really not. It just makes life unpleasant." (I may have absolutely paraphrased that line.) I want to tell this to my moody teenage students all the time, but it's occurring to me that I need to tell it to myself, and especially when it comes to relationships.

Self-deprecating humor can be amusing, but lately I've been thinking that it's doing more harm than good. It's so easy to fall into a cycle of "I suck at relationships" and "Guys are dumb" punchlines, but does that actually do me any good? I feel more powerful when I take a positive outlook, believe that I'll find love, believe that I'm worthy of a good relationship. I feel more powerful when I function from a place of choosing to be single and choosing to not settle, rather than having bad guys and bad relationships happen to me.

The shirt is hilarious. But I won't be buying it.

However, if you want to buy it, you can right here!

No comments:

Post a Comment